Set up L2TP over IPSec / PPTP VPN client on Windows 10 (+ video)
In this article, we will show you how to set up your VPN client in Windows with PPTP/L2TP over IPSec.
We already have configured the Mikrotik router with L2TP / PPTP server enabled.
We made them in these articles:
L2TP Server: https://www.bgocloud.com/knowledgebase/63/mikrotik-chr-how-to-setup-l2tp-vpn-server-vpn-server-for-apple-devices-iphone-macbook-video.html
PPTP Server: https://www.bgocloud.com/knowledgebase/32/mikrotik-chr-how-to-setup-pptp-vpn-server-video.html
Here's a small video explaining the process:
In this article, our MikroTik CHR is with public IP address: 184.108.40.206
Here's how to configure:
- Open Windows settings and go to Network & Internet.
Alternatively, you can access it by clicking on the network flyout on your taskbar and clicking on Network & Internet settings.
- Click on VPN and then on “Add a VPN connection”
- Select the built-in VPN provider. As VPN type choose L2TP/IPSec with pre-shared key or Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) if you configured a PPTP server.
Enter your MikroTik router’s public IP address and name the connection as you like.
- Set "Type of sign-in info" to User name and password. Then enter your VPN account credentials, the Pre-shared key(if applicable), and click on Save
- We are almost done. To test your connection, click on your newly created VPN connection and click on Connect.
- If it shows "Connected", then you have connected to your VPN server successfully.
And that’s it, you can easily access the VPN connection later through the Network Flyout.
Please visit our website and choose your hosting solution: https://www.bgocloud.com/
You can decide to make your VPN or rent a good and cheap dedicated server.
We have a tremendous and reliable Webhosting service.